by Jeremy Plonk
February 28, 2022
Gulfstream Park and Santa Anita jointly present the 1/ST Saturday in March with 15 stakes races slated to be run at the two iconic racetracks. It’s Fountain of Youth Day in South Florida, while it’s Big ‘Cap Day in Southern California. The two stuffed undercards fill out a mega stakes lineup that should prove to be one of the most exciting racing days of 2022. Entries were drawn for both full cards Monday.
Horseplayers on the 1/ST BET and Xpressbet platforms can take advantage of several 1/ST Saturday in March wagering promotions, including up to a $10 free bet on both the all-dirt Coast to Coast stakes pick five and the all-turf stakes Coast to Coast pick five (each featuring a low 12% takeout and $1 minimum). Fans can also enter the 1/ST Saturday in March free sweepstakes, where if you’re lucky enough to pick all 15 stakes winners, you could earn a life-changing, $5 million payday.
Gulfstream’s nine 1/ST Saturday in March stakes include a field of 12 (with an also-eligible) for the Grade 2 $400,000 Fountain of Youth, featuring Triple Crown hopefuls Rattle N Roll and the unbeaten Emmanuel. The Fountain of Youth pace looks to be rapid with key speed contenders drawing to the inside. Saturday’s Gulfstream undercard highlights feature eight runners in the Grade 2 $200,000 Gulfstream Park Mile (Speaker’s Corner and Fearless re-matched) and 11 entrants in the Grade 2 $200,000 Mac Diarmida on turf (led by eight contenders from trainers Mike Maker and Todd Pletcher).
Santa Anita’s six 1/ST Saturday in March stakes include the Grade 1 $650,000 Santa Anita Handicap, where last year’s runner-up Express Train leads a field of eight as he seeks a third straight victory. The Grade 2 $400,000 San Felipe for Triple Crown aspirants lured San Vicente-winning speedster Forbidden Kingdom among a field of seven. The Grade 1 $500,000 Beholder Mile, featuring Evoutante and As Time Goes By, as well as the Grade 1 $500,000 Kilroe Mile, which boasts a big field of 12, provide a rousing supporting lineup.
CNBC will broadcast the 1/ST Saturday in March in a two-hour program from 4-6 pm ET. Nick Luck will be onsite at Gulfstream, while 1/ST BET handicapper Eddie Olczyk highlights the coverage from Santa Anita.
Saturday // March 5 // Gulfstream Park // Grade 2 $400,000 Fountain of Youth // Race 12 // 5:42 PM ET
1. Markhamian // Marcos Meneses // Juan Avila
2. Simplification // Jose Ortiz // Antonio Sano
3. Howling Time // Joe Talamo // Dale Romans
4. In Due Time // Paco Lopez // Kelly Breen
5. Dean Delivers // Miguel Vasquez // Michael Yates
6. Rattle N Roll // Brian Hernandez Jr. // Kenny McPeek
7. A.P.’s Secret // Tyler Gaffalione // Saffie Joseph Jr.
8. Emmanuel // Luis Saez // Todd Pletcher
9. High Oak // Junior Alvarado // Bill Mott
10. Giant Game // Corey Lanerie // Dale Romans
11. O Captain // Javier Castellano // Gustavo Delgado
12. Mo Donegal // Irad Ortiz Jr. // Todd Pletcher
13. (Also Eligible) Galt // Joel Rosario // Bill Mott
Saturday // March 5 // Santa Anita Park // Grade 1 $650,000 Santa Anita Handicap // Race 11 // 8:00 PM ET
1. Spielberg // Abel Cedillo // Bob Baffert
2. Why Why Paul Why // Juan Hernandez // Michael McCarthy
3. Warrant // Flavien Prat // Brad Cox
4. Soy Tapatio // Diego Herrera // Doug O’Neill
5. American Theorem // Mike Smith // George Papaprodromou
6. Express Train // Victor Espinoza // John Shirreffs
7. Kiss Today Goodbye // Kyle Frey // Eric Kruljac
8. Stilleto Boy // John Velazquez // Ed Moger Jr.