- Where is Saratoga? Saratoga is located in the resort town of Saratoga Springs, in upstate New York.
- How old is Saratoga? Saratoga opened in 1863, and is the fourth oldest racetrack in the US.
- What is Saratoga’s Track Configuration? Saratoga features a 1 ⅛ mile dirt racetrack, a 1 mile turf track, and a 7 furlong inner turf course.
- When does Saratoga race? Saratoga runs during the summer, with the meet ending around Labor Day. The Saratoga meet originally lasted only four days, but the meet has been lengthened gradually.
- What races are run at Saratoga? Saratoga is most famous for the Travers Stakes, the longest running horse race in America. Other major stakes races held at Saratoga include the Alabama Stakes, the Hopeful Stakes and the Whitney Handicap.
- Who are the most famous horses to run at Saratoga? Saratoga has earned the nicknames Graveyard of Champions and House of Upsets due to famous horses suffering defeats there. Among the famous horses to lose at the track are Man O’ War, who lost to the appropriately named Upset, Secretariat, and American Pharoah.
- How do I bet on Saratoga? Xpressbet is your way to play the races at Saratoga. Sign Up Now to Pick your Bonus and start betting today!
Facts and Factors
Another historic season of racing kicks off at Saratoga on Friday, July 20. Get your betting strategy ready with these Saratoga facts and factors!
|Lore||Despite its foreboding nickname - earned thanks to infamous upsets at the track - Saratoga isn’t a ‘graveyard of favorites.’||Over the last three years, Saratoga favorites have won at virtually the same rate (32.2%) as Del Mar favorites (32.3%).|
|Trainers||Chad Brown (109 wins) and Todd Pletcher (104) wins are the Kings of Saratoga over the past three seasons.||Chad and Todd appear poised to square off again for the title of Top Trainer. Look for their horses in races every day at Saratoga and bet accordingly.|
|Turf||Saratoga has two turf courses, meaning plenty of races will be run on the grass.||Keep an eye on turf races for trends and give additional consideration to horses that have run well on the lawn at Saratoga in past years.|
|Timing||Saratoga is one of few tracks to race six days a week (Wednesday through Monday).||With so many races, budget your wagering wisely. Identify the races that you have a strong opinion on and focus your resources there.|
|Payout||The Wager Menu at Saratoga is loaded with opportunities to win BIG!||Beginners should focus on Win, Place, Show and Exacta bets, while experienced players, try to hit a Trifecta, Pick 3 or Pick 4 to really boost their payouts.|
|Track||Saratoga’s biggest races, like the Travers and Whitney, attract some of the best horses in the world.||You don’t want to miss the chance to see the horses square off. The races with the highest stakes will take place on August 4th (Whitney), August 25 (Travers) and September 1 (Woodward).|